Combine and Merge Invoices
If you perform regular bookings for certain clients and want to bill them periodically in one group invoice, like on a weekly or a monthly basis, you can combine and merge different invoices from your client’s bookings together into one invoice to send out at the end of their desired billing date, rather than sending separate invoices for each booking you have scheduled for them during that period.
To merge invoices together, use the advanced invoice search to filter invoices by customer, then select the invoices you need to combine from the list and press the Merge Invoices link that appears in the checkbox at the top of the invoices list. You can also go to your customer’s profile page to view their list of invoices from their invoices tab to select the invoices you want to merge.
Once your invoices have been combined and merged, a new invoice number will be generated for the combined invoice. The combined group invoice will look just like your regular invoice, with the addition of a date for each item line which comes from the scheduled visit date for the service, or from the date the product was added. In the view page for the merged invoice you will also see a reference to the booking number of each listed item, which links to the original booking. The merged group invoice will also have a new creation date which will be set to the date the invoices were merged. Please note that you can’t merge invoices that have a payment added or that have been synced to your accounting software like Quickbooks or Xero.
If for any reason you need to revert the merging of a combined invoice, you can press the Revert Merging Invoices button which shows in the Actions button in the view invoice page, this will revert the invoice back to its original separate or individual invoices. When merging of an invoice is reverted, the newly created group invoice will be deleted and the invoice will split back to the original invoices which existed prior to them being merged. Please note that you can’t revert merging of an invoice that has a payment added or that has been synced to your accounting software.
If you need to merge additional invoices with an already merged invoice, you can do that in the same way you merge regular invoices, and the same rules and limitations apply.
There are a few limitations and restrictions that apply to the merge invoices feature:
- Merged invoices are only visible to your admin users. Your fieldworkers won’t have access to see the merged invoice once the invoice of their booking has been merged, as the merged invoice may include bookings completed by multiple fieldworkers who might not be allowed to see each other’s invoices. Your fieldworkers will still be able to view the breakdown of the work they have completed in the booking overview page if you have given them permission to view their booking cost breakdown.
- You can only merge invoices that belong to the same customer.
- You can’t change the customer of any booking that is included in any merged invoice.
- You can’t merge invoices that have payments added. If you have invoices that already have payments added and you want to merge those invoices, you must first remove the payment added before merging, you can add the payments again to the new merged invoice once the invoice has been merged.
- You can’t merge invoices that have already been synced to your accounting software. If you want to combine invoices that have already been synced with your accounting software, you must first unsync those invoices and delete them from your accounting software then try again.
- You can’t revert merging for invoices that have payments added. If you have an invoice that already has a payment added that you want to revert, you must first remove the payment added, you can add the payment again to one of the original invoices once the invoice has been reverted to the original individual invoices.
- You can’t revert merging of invoices that have already been pushed to your accounting software. If you want to revert merging of invoices that have already been synced with your accounting software, you must first unsync those invoices and delete them from your accounting software then try again.
- The breakdown of merged invoices can’t be edited from the invoice page. If you need to edit the breakdown of a merged invoice you must edit the individual bookings that are combined into the merged invoice and the changes will be reflected on the merged invoice.