Customer Custom Fields
The list of contents:
- What’s the meaning of the customer custom fields?
- How to create a new customer custom field?
- What are the required elements for creating the new customer custom field?
- Where does the newly created customer custom field reflect?
- How can the admin fill in the custom fields on the customer profile?
- Can the fieldworkers add customers and fill in the created custom fields on the customer profile?
What’s the meaning of the customer custom fields?
Custom fields can be added to your customer profiles to record any information that is not included in the standard customer profile. For example, you can create a custom field to record your customer’s date of birth, gender, hobbies, interests, height, or any other helpful information specific to your industry. You can set the fields to display pre-entered values to select from.
These new fields will display in your customer profile and can be edited by your team and by your customers when logged in to their accounts. Private information can be hidden using the visibility flag. Customer reports using this information can be generated for your sales or marketing teams.
How to create a new customer custom field?
Admin users can create a new customer custom field by navigating to Settings > General Settings > Customer Profile from the side menu
- You’ll be redirected to the Customer custom field page, click on Create new +
- “Create a new custom field” window will pop up
What are the required elements for creating the new custom field?
- Field label: This is the name of the new custom field that explains what is required from the customer to enter. The field label can be a single word, a short sentence, or a question with no limited number of letters. The field label appears among the custom fields list and on the customer’s profile. The field label can be for example, “Age”, “Select floor type” “What’s the last beauty salon you visited?”
- Field ID: The benefit of the field ID is to make each custom field significant and easily distinguished from other custom fields that have the same name. This is used because many custom fields can have the same name “Field label” for different purposes. For example, “What’s the vehicle type?” can be two custom fields for the same business that provides multiple vehicle services such as a car washing service, and a car repair service. So, you are required to enter a name or a sentence for each one of the custom fields and the Field ID will only be visible to the admin users. For further clarification, in the last example, the custom field of the car washing service can get “The vehicle type – Washing service” as a Field ID. Please note that Field ID is a required element.
- Helper text: It’s the space where you can provide more details about the custom field and what you exactly need from your customers to enter. If your Field label is “Enter your furniture dimensions”, the helper text for this custom field can be “Please make sure to enter all the dimensions of the furniture will be moved, the height, the width and the depth by inches”. Therefore, through the helper text, you guide your customers to provide the right information you need to complete the service. The helper text is an optional element.
- Active: You have the option to make your new custom field active or not through the toggle button. If you make it active, that means the custom field will appear on the customer profile to be filled in. If you need it to be inactive for a while, switching to inactive will make it invisible on the customer profile; however, it will be listed among your custom fields on the customer custom fields page.
In case the custom field doesn’t require any entry from your customer’s end and it’s only for admin users, you should enable the button so the custom field can be hidden from the customer profile.
eg: the admin of a cleaning company can create a custom field that requires the customer to enter details about the apartment that will be cleaned, so the toggle button should be disabled to be visible on the customer profile.
- Mandatory: The new custom field can be optional or mandatory. You can enable the toggle button by switching it to “Yes”, so the custom field becomes required to be filled in so the profile can be completed.
If the custom field doesn’t inquire about essential info affecting the offered services, you can leave the toggle button disabled so it will be an optional field.
- Field type: You can select from the dropdown menu the type that best describes the created custom field. So, depending on the needed answer from the customers, you will choose the field type as the entries can be dates, numbers, short texts, long texts… etc.
The available field types you can select from:
- Date picker: The required answer of the custom field will be a date from the calendar and it will be only allowed to enter a date. eg: Birthdate, Last visit’s date.
- Time picker: This option allows users to enter times only as an answer to the custom field that matches the inquiries related to specific times, such as the best time to contact and preferred booking time.
- Text box (multi-line): This type is suitable for the custom fields that need long answers from the users, as it allows the user to enter a huge number of characters in a multi-line field. For example, if the admin of a hair salon created a custom field that asks the user to enter details about the previous treatments that have been done to the hair, the user may need to input many lines to describe the details of every treatment.
- Text field (one line): It allows the users to enter a short text from one line. It can be selected when the required answer is expected to be a single word or a short text; for example, if the admin of a car-hailing service created a custom field inquirey about the customer’s most frequently visited area, the expected answers will be short names such as “Manhattan” or “The rocks”.
- Button: It’s a clickable plus and minus button, increasing and decreasing the numbers to make the users select the specific required number. It can be a suitable choice for the custom fields that require the users to provide a number as an answer, for example, a custom field asks about the number of pets the customer has.
*Please note that when selecting the button, three fields appear to define the title of the button, minimum value the user can select, maximum value the user can select
For example, a custom field requires the user to specify the apartment’s size per meters, the title is the unit that the entered number will be counted by, so in this case, the title will be “Meters”, and the minimum value can be “20”, while the maximum value can be “2000″. The users are free to choose any number in between.
- Toggle: To have users select “Yes” or “No” as an answer as the toggle button can be activated or deactivated to match the user’s choice. For example, a hair salon inquires whether the customer’s hair has been dyed before or not, the toggle button will be used in that custom field so the user selects “Yes” or “No”.
- Dropdown: When using a dropdown menu, the user gets a menu including all the potential options to select only one from. For example, a custom field asks the customer to select the nearest branch of the store, the menu will include all the store branches and the customer needs to select one of them.
Radio button (Required to select one): Same as the dropdown menu, the radio button lists the available options which the customer will choose from, to select only one, and the only difference is the shape in which the options are displayed.
- Button group: Same as the dropdown and the radio button, the button group lists the available options which the customer will choose from, to select only one, and the only difference is the shape in which the options are displayed.
- List: Same as the dropdown, the radio button, and the button group, the list enables the users to choose only one answer from a list that contains the potential options.
- Checkbox (optional selection): This allows the users to check or uncheck the available options listed for the custom field. Many options can be selected through the checkbox, and this type can be used when many answers can be valid for the same inquiry. eg: if the admin needs to know about the preferred services the customer might need, the services can be listed in a checkbox so that more than one service can be selected at the same time.
- Checkbox button group: Same as checkbox but only different in the shape, the checkbox button group allows the users to check or uncheck the available options listed for the custom field, many options can be selected through the checkbox. This type can be used when many answers can be valid for the same inquiry. Also, images can be uploaded for each value when using the checkbox button group.
Please note that when selecting the dropdown, radio button, button group, list, checkbox, checkbox button group two fields appear:
- Selections display order: That field enables you to choose in which order you want the field options to be displayed.
There are 2 options to choose from:
- As entered: So the options will be displayed to the users in the same order they have been entered with.
2. Alphabetical order (A-Z): The options will be displayed in alphabetical order, according to the first initial letter of each option.
- Title: You should add the names of the options listed in your menus, and there’s an additional field that appears under the title field, allowing the users to add any further details about the title. For example, if a hair treatment is one of the options, the admin can explain in the additional field that any products include non chemical formulas that are not considered as hair treatments. If the additional field is not needed, you can hide it from the left button under the title field.
After entering the title and the additional details, click on the right blue button under the title field so it can be successfully added.
Also, you have the option to delete the added title and edit it from the buttons below:
To add the rest of the options to the dropdown menu, click on “Add a new selection +” then save.
After saving the new custom field, the created custom field is going to appear on the customer custom fields page with the details of the custom field.
In the custom field row, you’ll find:
- The name of the custom field
- Variable name: The field ID you already wrote
- Edit: You can use it to edit any detail of the custom field after creating.
In the details row, you’ll find:
- Field type
In the options row, you’ll find:
If the field type is “Date picker, time picker, text box, text field, button”, the options next to the custom field will be empty as those field types do not include choices the customer will select from.
On the other hand, if the field type is “ Toggle, dropdown, radio button, button group, list, checkbox, checkbox button group” you are going to find the entered options that the customers will select from next to the custom field.
You will also find “Active” and “Visible” buttons as the last rows to control the activation and the visibility of the custom fields.
*Please note that you can search to find the custom field you want from the search custom fields box and you can delete any custom field by checking in the checkbox next to the custom field then click on the down arrow to delete. Also, all of the custom fields can be deleted by marking the checkbox next to the custom field to select all then click on the down arrow and select delete all
Where does the newly created customer custom field reflect?
When admin users create a new customer custom field, it appears on the customer profile in the customer portal, so the customer can fill it in. This can be found in the customer portal through the following:
- From the customer portal < Welcome “Customer’s name” < Profile
Click “Edit” on My account page
The created custom fields will appear under “Add other contacts”
And once the custom fields are filled from the customer’s end, they will be added under the “basic info” of the customer on the My account page.
How can admin users fill in the custom fields on the customer profile?
Admin users can enter the required info on the customer profile from the admin user’s dashboard.
- From the side menu, select customers < All customers
- Select actions button next to the customer name < Select edit details
- Enter the required information in the custom field under “Add another contact”
Can the fieldworkers add customers and fill in the created custom fields on the customer profile?
Yes, the fieldworkers, by default, can add customers and fill in the custom fields added on behalf of the customers through the following steps:
From the website
- Click on New+
- Select New customer
- Fill in the pop-up form and save
From the app:
- -Click on the Menu
- -Click on Create a new booking
- Click on +New customer
- Fill out the form
- Press “Add new customer”